The brilliant orange and red summer peaches are certainly delicious all on their own. Ranger Craig and I can certainly testify to how juicy, fragrant and sweet a flat of summer peaches can be.
Still heavily imprinted on my brain is our drive home from a farm market stand in Central Washington one summer; trying so hard to wait until we got home before digging into the peaches. Our will-power did not stand up to the test. I think we might have consumed 1/3 of that flat before pulling into our driveway.
Summer peaches feel like the crown jewel of summer… other than those backyard tomatoes that I am so patiently waiting to turn a perfect shade of red-orange.
I love using peaches in sweet and savory dishes, simply pairing them with grilled fish and pork or just tossing them on the grill and serving with a big scoop of ice cream and a butter rum sauce. Which is a lovely way to serve dessert since it’s been so hot here in the Pacific Northwest. And who doesn’t love a buttery rum sauce?
The summer is passing quickly and my days seem busier than spring; so this post is short and sweet. Literally. 😉
Wishing you all a most delicious weekend!
Loads of Love,
- 4-6 ripe yellow or white peaches, halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup rum or 2 teaspoons rum extract
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Fresh mint for garnish
- Pre-heat the grill to 350F.
- In a sauce pan whisk together over medium heat the butter, brown sugar, heavy cream and rum or rum extract. Bring to a boil and then while whisking, simmer for a minute or two until the sugar has dissolved. Take the pan off the heat and reserve.
- Brush the peach halves with olive oil and then set them cut side down on the grill. Let them cook for about 3-4 minutes each side until soft and tender. If the peaches are very ripe you may only want to grill cut side down. Moving the extra ripe peaches too much may result in a broken peach.
- Once the peaches are done, transfer them to a platter or plates and top with vanilla bean ice cream and drizzle with Butter Rum Sauce. Garnish with a mint leaf if desired.